Well, I'm not a professional, by any means. I'm just someone who likes taking pictures, yeah? Before about 18DEC10, I was using my cell-phone to take pictures (3.1 mp). It did a pretty good job; however, for Christmas, I received a Kodak Easy Share which has 12 mp and take much nicer pictures. I'm saving this year, so that next Christmas I can buy myself a much better camera! :) I hope you enjoy my photos.

25 April 2012

24APR12

I took these photos yesterday on my way home from the VA hospital in Houston.  I always try to stop at this wonderful restaurant called HUMPHRIES to eat on my way home. It is very cozy, has great food and the service is very personal.   I always feel like I am a VIP when I am there.  Rachel, my waitress, is an amazing find in regard to waitress-hood!  She deserves a medal.  Anyway, the business is just a year old and is struggling a bit.  I'm guessing the struggle is because of the economy or something.  I'd just like to encourage any and all who travel through Dayton to stop by Humphries and grab a bit.  They have sandwiches, soups, salads and great desserts.  I recommend the peppered roast sandwich and the potato soup!  Their iced tea is also fabulous. 

Anyway, on to the photos.  Just behind their restaurant (which is just behind THE VINEYARD, by the way) there is an old grain elevator which is in serious disrepair and is scheduled to be torn down soon. When Mr. Humphries told me of the demolition plans, I decided that I needed to take some photos of it so that there is a record of the place.  I thought it was really beautiful for some reason.   I can't even tell you why or promise you that these photos are fantastic.    I just know that I felt this overwhelming nostalgia for a bygone era when everyone is town worked there and a man's word was true and people worked hard to make their world a better place, even if it was hoeing and planting and harvesting the grain to feed the people who lived in the town.   

Superannuated # 8

 Superannuated # 9

She still stands, even in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment